MAMP stands for ‘Mac Apache MySQL pHP’. This means that MAMP is something you can download onto your mac which will then allow you to access WordPress on your laptop on a local server. If you are using a Windows platform then you would use WAMP which serves the exact same purpose A local server can be set up on your mac to test and edit a website you are designing without the
webpage being accessible to others. If you were to use this method of web design in industry you would limit the access to only you and the client.
How to install MAMP/WAMP
- First you need to
- install the MAMP or WAMP files.
- Once you have went through the instillation process, you need to open MAMP/WAMP by clicking on the start servers icon.
- This should take you to the MAMP start up page, where you click on preferences, go onto port then set the apache port to either 8888, 8889 or 7888.
- Now go onto PHP and 5.5.18.
- Exit the start up page and open the web page. This is where you can create different links and webpages offline for only you to see. A great way to edit or create new webpages with ease without changing or creating a public website.