Train-lines website is very effective because of its functionality, it allows the user to buy train tickets with ease but it also has an effective design that fits the brand well.
Why It’s Brilliant
- It includes the destination and date search form that most visitors come looking for, right up front, guiding visitors to the logical next step.
- It implements flat designs which are aesthetically pleasing to look at, in combination with lots of open space, and bright colours.
- Responsive web design that easily translates to a mobile layout.
- It offers other options tailored to the user if their desired date is not available.
Evolve is a charity based in the north west and its website is a really good example of bad design. This is due of a combination of poor quality imagery, tiny fonts and clashing colours in conjunction with the limiting frames that minimise the site to a small window in the centre of the screen, this greatly reduces the functionality of the site.
Why it needs improving
- It is visually and aesthetically unappealing to look at and won’t encourage users to return.
- Collages of images, videos and text are all crammed into the centre of the site.
- This surplus of images and text is a little overwhelming and offers little in the way of clear navigation.